Friday, November 22, 2013

How to Pay via Western Union without a Fee

Some of you may already know about this but I only just found out a few weeks ago by one of our forum members. Thanks to BergBag for sharing the info :D.

I used to go pay W/U at my local Kroger because doing it online is double sometimes triple the amount. I only pay $14-$15 for under $1,000 and it's like $34-$65 to pay online or via phone.

But if you select the "Bank Transfer" or "WU Pay" option there is usually NO FEE however a few times it did show a lower amount like $10-$12. I don't know why it's not always free because sometimes I would try to pay and it will show a fee then a few minutes later I try again sometimes on a different device (i.e iPad to PC) and it's Free again. 

So if yours show a fee try again later or from a different computer but even if you have to pay it's still less than going to their location and it's so convenient.

So here are step-by-step instructions on how to do this.

1)  Register for an account at www.westernunion.com. It's fast and easy and you'll be able to log in immediately.

2)  Click the "Send Money" tab at the top

3)  Under Step 1, select the country of the receiver (i.e. China) from the drop down menu.

4)  Put in the amount you are sending in USD and make sure to also select USD for the receiver end.

5)  Under Step 2, put in your zip code

6)  Under Step 3 select "Cash at Agent Location".

7)  Under Step 4 you have 2 options. You can select "Bank Transfer" or "WU Pay--using your bank's online bill pay service". I use WU Pay.

8)  Click "Continue" and follow the steps to complete the process. I also put in the receiver's email which is optional so WU can email you and the receiver when funds are available for pick-up.

9)  If you did everything correctly you will see a Confirmation Page with your MTCN # which is what you will send to the receiver. Make sure you also let them know your name (or the name of whoever sent the funds), amount sent and the country you are sending from. Leave this screen open because you'll need the info to complete the payment.

10)  Now if you selected "WU Pay" you will need to log into your online banking.

11)  Select "Bill Pay" and create an account for "WU Pay". You will find the account info from the Confirmation page.

11)  Select the payee you just created (WU Pay) and put in the amount and click send.

12)  This method will take anywhere between 2-5 days (usually only 2-3 days for me) before the funds are available for pick up by the receiver so make sure you let them know that. They will receive an email from WU notifying them the funds are ready for pick-up if you put in their email.

That's pretty much it! I wish I had known about this in the beginning. It would have saved me a lot of $ because I also send $ to my dad in Cambodia every month and I pay $65 each time due to the higher amount.

2 comments:

  1. Hey I was wondering if you could kindly tell me the difference between Bank Transfer" & "WU Pay as far as the fees that are associated with each option. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks this really helps! I was slow about ordering from sellers with Western Union, because credit cards are just more convenient. I just may try them now. :-)

    ReplyDelete